Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Weightlifting with Chains



So today (and this past Monday) I have experimented with using chains in my workout. It's something I have always wanted to try, but haven't. I used them on two exercises on Monday, namely while doing the bench press and chinups. (Some will argue that chains are not best for chinups or pull-ups because the weight doesn't change throughout the movement, but that isn't what I was looking for in that particular exercise... more on that in a moment.)

First, let's very quickly break down what chains do: They provide a very efficient, and relatively cheap, method to turn exercises into dynamic resistance loads. You hang the chain on the barbell in such a way that at the top of a movement, the entire chain is off of the floor. As you lower the bar, the chain links will hit the floor and begin to "deload" the bar, thus making it slightly lighter. As you bring the bar back up, it "reloads" the bar and makes it heavier.

Chains added to 335 for Bench Press
I haven't used it for squats or deadlifts yet, but I was very happy with how it changed my bench press sessions. Monday was a light day for me, so I loaded the bar with 315 pounds of plates. I did one initial set without chains, and then each successive set I added chains and tried to get the same number of reps. What I noticed right away was that it forced me to focus through the entire range of motion. I normally pause at the top and bottom, but I had to push a lot harder into completing each rep by the final set because the chains I had added weighed 32 pounds. Then today I went to my medium bench press session and loaded 335 on the bar. Just like Monday, I worked with extra chains each set until I had all four on there.

The biggest benefit I noted for myself, was that I could trick my mind into thinking it was working the same numbers as last week, while my body was actually pushing roughly 12-32 pounds more throughout each rep. I loaded the plates and my mind believed that the chains didn't really count. Not only was the weight heavier, but I actually got MORE reps on my lighter day for each set. I have a meet coming up in February, so hopefully this will finally get me closer to my bench goal of 405... we'll see.


Why Chains instead of partials? I have worked with partial reps before, where I work the top third of a movement, so I am used to heaving heavy weights at the top, but what I loved about chains was that I could get the full range of motion, still adding a bit of weight to the normal 315 because roughly half of the chains were still hanging above the floor. The bottom 2/3 or 1/2 of a movement is altogether skipped while doing partials. While I still love partials, and don't plan on dismissing them entirely from my routines, chains are definitely going to take up a position as one of my go-to advanced techniques!


Click on the picture for more information about dip belts.
I am planning on using chains for my squats and deadlifts next week, or possibly this Friday, but I think they are great for other exercises as well. I mentioned before that some people say they are not good for chinups and pull-ups because with chinups, the mechanics of the exercise are slightly different. I say it depends on what you want. If what you want is extra weight, then the chains work perfectly for that. Sure, there are weight belts with chains that you can add plates to, but let's be honest, those things are not comfortable. It only takes one time of having the chain crush the groin area and you can see what I mean. Chains, on the other hand, can be looped across your back and allowed to hang over your chest. One should be careful not to start to heavy and overload the neck muscles, but if you are used to doing heavy squats with the bar in a high position, odds are you will be all right.

Now, you can buy special chain kits that are specifically made for lifting, however, that may not be the best fit for your wallet. For example, Rogue fitness (A company that I love by the way) sells kits here. The first option is $59.00. It is roughly 4' long and about 15 pounds. (Though there are other options.) On the other hand, I went down to Lowes and picked up some heavy duty chain. I got four chains, each just over 8lbs and 6' in length. After tax I was out a little more than $80. But, you can get creative if you aren't picky. Maybe look at local classified ads or other places that might be selling old chains.

I'll probably post an update on how the chains are working over time, but in the meantime, have a look at these articles. They dive into different aspects of the mechanics and science a bit more than I do here in this post.

Article #1 from Bodybuilding.com
Article #2 from Breakingmuscle.com
Article #3 from T-nation.com

Until next time, happy lifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment