Monday, May 14, 2018

Designing and testing a new 20 Week Program

I have been working with several new programs over the last couple of years since coming back from a long layoff from competitions. Each program has a specific goal, and so far the results have been great. Not only have I been able to smash personal records and win championships, but I have been able to open up possibilities that I had previously thought were out of reach. More than that, I have been able to help several others with their own goals along the way, and that has been one of the most rewarding parts.

Fast forward to today and I am currently testing what I think will be my capstone program. It's versatile enough that anyone who is healthy enough to engage in lifting should be able to significantly benefit from the program. I took a four week break between my last program and starting this one, and already the results in one week have been astounding, but first let's examine what brought me to this particular program.

Since 2016 my main goal was to build up my strength, and I frankly didn't worry about diet too much, or when I did try to keep an eye on it, I would falter in a week or two. So, naturally I have gained a lot of weight along with my strength, hitting a lifetime high weight of 285. That's almost 100 pounds more than my senior year of High School when I took 6th in Washington state and then took a break from competing in powerlifting.

I recently went in for my annual physical and got the news that my cholesterol was high, which isn't really a shocker given how I was eating, but the main point is I decided it was time to do something more sustainable. What good is lifting a truck if I die of heart disease? That's why I am doing this particular capstone program, it is the first time that I am working from both angles in a specific, methodical approach to not only drop the unhealthy fat weight, but also to correct the damaging effects my previous bad habits have caused.

My intention here, after running through the 20 week program myself, is to create a book and video series that anyone can use to start the same program, which will not only help people lean out while building muscles and strength, but also introduce a healthier way of life that should show other improvements as well. I will include my own blood test results as well to show how this program has affected me. (The book will also include all of my favorite programs, including my competition prep routines, so even advanced lifters should find something fun to use.)

Already, I have seen great results in the first week.

I have been using a blend of speed lifting techniques (which I will detail more fully in the book), and in only 1 week I have gone from weighing 274.6 up to 276.4. That's right, I am happy about gaining weight during this program. Why? Well, because the scale never tells the full story. My measurements week over week have shown that I have taken 3/4 of an inch off my waist. My total body fat percentage (calculated by skin fold tests with calipers) also improved, going from 22.25% down to 20.5% meaning that while I gained 1.8 pounds overall, I LOST 4.435 pounds of fat.

What's even better is that I have been steadily increasing the amount of weight lifted during each session, so my muscles are responding well. Additionally, I have not lost size on my arms, chest, or shoulder measurements (I've actually increased muscle size). My total lean mass at the beginning of this new program was 213.50. As of this morning, only one week later, my lean mass is up to 219.7 pounds.

So, on to week 2. I'm excited to see the end results!


Week 1 Total poundages and times for workouts (each workout has a paired counterpart each week, the B sessions are compared to A sessions to track progress):

Wkt1A  15 minutes -- 20,145 lbs.
Wkt2A  18 minutes -- 14,970 lbs.
Wkt3A  28 minutes -- 31,053 lbs.
Wkt1B  14:40 Minutes -- 21,225 lbs (1,080 more lbs, 20 seconds less time.)
Wkt2B  18 minutes -- 17,536 lbs (same time, 2,533 more pounds.)
Wkt3B  32 minutes -- 36,832 lbs (5,779 more pounds, 4 additional minutes.)








4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Although I am not a power lifter and am doing well to bench press my body weight, it is pretty inspiring to know someone who is my age, that I went to school with, doing something so awesome. Great blog bro and can't wait to read more.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping that putting it all out there will help keep me accountable on the nutrition side as well so I don't get off track with that again. If I can conquer that part, then this should turn into a very successful program!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome. My goals have been similar but since I really watch my diet and cut alcohol out my weight has dropped about 20lbs. At the same time I have gotten stronger. It will be good to get pointers from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't drink alcohol, but I have a heck of a sweet tooth :( So, that is what I am fighting the most. Getting back to unprocessed foods and cutting out the sugar.

      Delete