Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Down and Out

     I was getting ready to kick up the intensity this week.  I added about 20 pounds to my bench sets, switched up the exercise order a bit, and added a few more challenging tasks... and then my kids decided that it was time to get me sick.  (Seriously, why do little kids have to bring germs home right after I get a workout routine launched?)  So I have two options: 1) go to the gym and work out despite feeling sick, or 2) take a day out and recoup to avoid prolonging the healing period.  As you have likely surmized from the title of the post, I opted to go home after work, throw on some comfy clothes (aka pajama pants), and downed a small dinner while vegging on the couch.

     Now obviously I could have gone to the gym and done something, so even though I think I did the right thing by taking the day off, I still feel like a lazy bum.  But, in all honesty my body will likely thank me for taking the break to let it heal from the nasty little bugs my kids brought home and shared with me.  Especially with my past health issues, I have found it best to nip illnesses in the bud rather than struggle through them as the latter often leads to a prolonged period of illness and puts my body through more stress.  And besides, missing a day or two for a legitimate reason won't really hamper my overall progress.  If you find yourself in a similar predicament, take stock of the signals your body gives you.  If you have aches and signs of fatigue (or anything worse or contagious), then you should probably let your body rest.  On the other hand, if you have a sore throat but no cough or fever, you may be fine hitting the gym.  If you want to read a bit more on the subject, may I suggest this Webmd article.  Here's hoping the extra rest helps me get back on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment