Tuesday, May 7, 2013

An Ode to Spiderman

Ok- so I don't really know the Spiderman --much to my four year old's dismay I might add-- but I do have a friend nicknamed Spiderman.  He may not be a superhero per se, but he did swing in and rescue me. 

If you saw my recent posts, then you know I was struggling with motivation.  I didn't want to go to the gym.  To make things worse, I lost my gym card and the staff lectured me and said I couldnt come back without it.  Well being the prideful punk I am I went home to find my stupid membership card.  I was gonne shove it in that guy's face!  (By the way, I had spotted this particular staff member before when he almost dropped 425 pounds on his chest- imagine if I had been kicked out that day...) 

Well- I didn't find my blasted membership card.  So, I couldn't go back until a new one was made.  Since I live overseas, I can't just pay on the spot and have them reprint it while I workout either.  It takes a while --especially when you have to fill out a brand new form, but no one will give you the doggone form!  So, feeling defeated with no way back into my gym, I gave in to my lazy tendencies.  I wanted to go home, write, play video games, and sleep.  Not a very Steel Dad thing to do... but that is what I fell into.  And it was awesome.

The problem is, every day when I saw my friend he would ask me if I was going to the gym.  Eventually his guilt trip tactics worked.  I found myself not only in the gym, but working harder than before.  Now I have a bodyweight routine in the mornings, followed by biking to/from work, with a stop at the gym on the way home.  If not for Spidey, I might still be pouting on the couch, glued to an xbox game...

Now, I don't imagine I can keep this routine up forever, but the goal is to stick to it for 6 weeks and see what happens.  I can lay out the program in detail later, but essentially I am working on a fat busting routine.  So, wish me luck.

So, the moral of this story --or rant-- is be sure to share your goals and ambitions with others.  Even if you don't have a spotter or workout partner, a good friend can still come to your aid and give you the kick in the pants you need to get your butt back in the gym. 

Happy lifting!

p.s. As a result of my renewed motivation, look for a body weight program in the next couple of days.  I have gotten a lot of questions about workouts that can be done at home in under twenty minutes- and I think I have compiled a couple of winners.


No comments:

Post a Comment