Saturday, March 30, 2013

Rock You Like A Hurricane...

So, I knew a kid in high school --who shall remain nameless-- who once discussed how we should all have intro music when we walked into a public bathroom.  As the title of this post suggests, his top choice for intro music when walking into a public men's room was "Rock You Like a Hurricane" by the Scorpions.  I'm not going to try to evaluate his choice, but I think he may have a point... sort of.

While many of us have our favorite tunes playing while we workout, did you know that music can actually improve your performance and alter your brain's perception of fatigue?  It can.  It can literally make you stronger to plug into your ipod while pumping iron.  Obviously there are no ultra super music notes flowing to your muscles- but the music has an effect on your brain by altering your mood.  Your mood then helps determine the signals your brain sends out to your body (more on the mind-muscle connection coming on Monday), and therefore can alter your exercise output.  If you would like to get a more in depth look at what I am talking about, then start by looking at this research report by The Sport Journal.

So, the bottom line is- we all do need our own theme music!  (Just maybe not in a public restroom...)  Now it doesn't mean you have to listen to any particular kind of music.  Research shows that a person's preferred music has the best effect.  While it is true that fast music can get your heart pumping- music that you enjoy the best will have the best effect on your mood, and therefore create a more fun, and productive, experience in the gym.  For instance I know guys that enjoy super hard rock during a lifting routine, and on occasion I might as well- but most often I prefer a mix that includes various tempos and styles.

Depending on the workout I will listen to anything from Michael Jackson to Linkin Park, or perhaps I'll throw in some Garth Brooks :)  I just registered for a 12 week transformation contest through Bodybuilding.com so along with my regular mix I have thrown in a few inspirational songs like The Script's "Hall of Fame" --which I highly recommend. Whatever you choose for your theme music, be sure to plug in at the gym!!



Here is a quick pic I took today after hitting back and biceps... obvious lack of tan aside- I am making some good progress.  Happy lifting!!


No comments:

Post a Comment