Tuesday, March 5, 2013

8 Weeks Done, Now for Something New...

     One of the best things about working out is the fact that there is a plethora of training routines out there.  Many of them are highly effective- so long as you have the right dedication- and create great results.  So, if you find yourself getting bored or burned out (either mentally or physically) then switch it up!
     The downside to having so many good programs is how do you choose which one is best?  Well, the answer is you don't have to choose the best one.  You just have to choose the best type.  For example, I have been hitting the iron 6 days a week, training each muscle group twice within the 6 days.  This was great for getting me back into shape quickly, but now I am looking to add some mass.  So, instead of torturing myself looking for the best mass program in the world I looked for a type of program.  I have in the past made great gains training 4 days a week, training upper body on Mondays and Thursdays, and punishing the lower body on Tuesdays and Fridays.  However, I wanted to try something new.  So I found a four day split that breaks the body up so that each muscle group is trained only once.  There are several programs out there like this, but I settled on starting one created by Dr. Jim Stoppani.  (You can check it out here.)  One thing that drew me in to it, was that it mixed all types of working loads into the 12 weeks.  So I won't get bored mentally, and I can try various weights each session.
     One of the biggest workout killers is repetition and boredom.  So, if you find yourself getting discouraged, despite making good progress- then change it up!  Your body will thank you for it.  Then, after the end of the program, you can move on to a new one, or try it again.  You never have to limit yourself to one regimen, and to be honest, your body won't make as much progress if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment