Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Journey Begins

     My name is Sam, and I would like to welcome you to my blog, Steel Dads.  I started this blog with the goal of chronicling my progress toward my fitness goals in an attempt to make myself more accountable by publishing my triumphs, failures, and lessons learned along the way.  If, in addition to reaching my own goals, my blog helps you with your goals as well, whether you use my programs or tips, or simply find camaraderie and motivation by reading, then I would count my efforts a great success.

     First, I would like to say a few words about myself.  I work full time, and like many of you, often in excess of 40 hours a week.  I am also a proud father of three, and in my spare time (what little there is after work, wrestling with my sons, and spending time with my wife) I am working on finishing my masters degree.  I currently speak three languages other than English, and I used to be a personal trainer.  (Though I should say that I am not currently certified by A.C.E. or any other organization as I no longer work in the fitness industry.)  I also have had some health setback over the last two years that have severely hampered my ability to consistently exercise.  As a result, I am now on a gluten free diet and doing my best to navigate the ins and outs of celiac sprue symptoms.  So, in a nutshell, I am a real dad with time constraints, health concerns, and a plethora of other daily concerns.  Just like anyone reading this right now.  (Unless, of course, you have zero time constraints, never had health issues, and can melt away daily cares with lasers from your eyes --in which case you might want to check to see if you are related to Superman...)

     As for my workouts- I used to be a very avid athlete.  In high school I played football and competed on the power lifting team.  As life moved along I kept up with my workouts as best as I could --mostly-- but especially in the last couple of years I have allowed myself to eat more than I should --half of a chocolate cake anyone?-- work out a little less, and let time slip by with excuses.  Granted some health reasons are valid, but there are always those days when we say we have no time for a workout when, in fact, we know we could squeeze something in.

     So here I am, in my 30th year with an amazing family and a fantastic job.  I am in decent shape --for a desk jockey-- but let's face it, I don't want to be in decent shape.  I don't want a body fat percentage anywhere near 20%, let alone over it.  I want to be a Steel Dad!  So, I have decided that now is the time to start the journey with renewed dedication.  In this blog I am going to include my workout routines, results, and perhaps a photo or two along the way.  I will also include my exact measurements on specific days (I find the tape to be a much better gauge than the scale by itself) throughout the program.  My goals are to cut down to 7% bodyfat, while maintaining my lean muscle mass, by my birthday this November.  However, I am not willing to simply diet and whither away like a flower in the middle of the Badlands.  I want to be a lean, muscular dad, not a skinny dad.  There is a difference!

     If you would like to come along for the ride, I promise to be as open and honest as I can with my exercise routines, my diet, and my results.  Whatever your goals are, perhaps you will find the motivation, and maybe some tips, to transform yourself into a Steel Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment