Tuesday, August 22, 2017

An Ode to Coach U.


Today a dear friend and mentor of mine has passed away after a hard fight with cancer. Coach U. was the weightlifting teacher at my high school. He was also the powerlifting coach there. All you had to do was step foot inside the gym and you knew you were in hallowed ground. The shelves on the front wall were lined with trophies. State championships and regional meets were all lined up in gold and silver for any newcomer to see. Looking up at the ceiling, particularly above the bench-press area, you would find motivational quotes taped up. Determination, gumption, integrity, focus. Those are all good descriptors of the qualities brought out by the Blacksmith Shop, as the gym was called.

But it was more than that. Coach U. made the gym a proving ground for all merits. Along with the external competitions, Coach U. taught us to strive against ourselves. To bring out the best that we could be. Along the walls were posters and placards that listed various records and challenges. The names of those that broke records got to go up there, along with the date and weight lifted. But perhaps more valuable were the personal challenges issued by Coach U. to his students. I know he worked with many others, but I don't know what their challenges from him were as those were personal between them and Coach U.

My challenge was laziness. Not in the gym. No, ever since seeing Arnold in Conan the Destroyer, I knew I belonged in the gym. But Coach caught me being lazy in my other classes. Without anyone asking him, he looked into my grades. He pulled me aside one day in his class and asked me why I wasn't showing the same dedication in my academic pursuits as I was in the gym.

He didn't lecture me. He didn't chastise me. He didn't threaten to kick me off the powerlifting team. He simply asked, "Why?"

Of course, I had no answer. I hung my head a bit, and a well of shame rose up in my chest. Seeing that, Coach U. then issued a challenge to me. There wasn't much time left in high school, and there was nothing I could do about the grades that had already been listed, but I could do something about the last term of senior year. So, he told me that he expected to see me work harder, and bring my grades up. He didn't nag on me about my grades, but as I worked to bring them up, I know he continued to check in on me. Coach U. truly embraced the spirit of the gym, and applied it to all aspects of life. His was a mantra to always do your best, in all things and in all places. And anyone could tell just by looking into his twinkling eyes and bright smile that he lived that mantra to the fullest. He was one of the finest men I have ever known or called friend.

While my high school career was a disaster in terms of grades, I was able to carry his lesson forward. I think he would have been proud of my performance in college. I know he was happy to see me return to powerlifting as well. I still think of him, cheering and coaching from the side, as I go in to train or compete.

While I am happy that Coach U. no longer suffers the pain of his cancer, his is a loss that I will feel for a long time, as will countless students he has lifted up through his years of teaching and serving.

Until we meet again Coach.

Coach U. left front. Picture from Washington State High School Championship

2 comments:

  1. Almost 30 after having him as a coach, I still hold myself to the standards that he set for me. When I lift, it is his advise that I hear, when I don't lift enough I hear him in my head reminding me that I can do better. Coach, I will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach U. was the reason I became a strength coach! He gave me confidence and guidance in lifting and in life. 23 years of lifting and he still crosses my mind weekly! If it were not for him, I don't think I would have gone to college, competed in track in college, got a degree, or met my husband! Thanks Coach! And know you will be missed!

    ReplyDelete